1. Recognize that God loves you and has a plan for your life. God's love for us is not shallow, but it is rich and full. He created us and knows us intimately. His plan for each of us gives meaning and purpose to our lives.
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life"
John 10:10 "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full"
2. Recognize that sin separates you from God and others. Sin is simply choosing to walk our own ways rather than in God's ways. Typically our own ways become filled with pride, which leads to anger, envy, greed, dishonesty, and bitterness. These things only lead to broken relationships, yet we have all allowed them to enter our lives - all our hearts have turned from God. But God is the source of life and when we reject God, we reject life. Sin only leads to brokenness and death.
Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God"
Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death"
Ephesians 2:8-9 "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast"
3. Recognize that Jesus Christ died and rose again for your sins.We believe that Jesus Christ, by His sufferings, by the shedding of His own blood, and by His death on the cross, made a full amends for all of our sin. Our relationship with God doesn’t have to be broken and divided any longer, but can be whole. This work Christ did on our behalf is the only ground for our salvation. Our new hope for peace rests not only in Jesus’ death, but also in his resurrection. Jesus’ resurrection gives us hope for our future with God. Life does not end with our physical bodies, but extends into eternity. Our new life with God is made possible through Jesus’ death and resurrection!
Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us"
2 Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come"
Romans 5:1 "We have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ"
John 8:36 "So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed"
Romans 6:23 "But the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord"
4. Confess your sins and repent, asking God for forgiveness. God sees each of our hearts and He knows our sins. To confess simply means that when God points out the sin in your life, you agree with Him that it is wrong. Then to repent means that you stop walking in your own ways. Instead, you turn around and begin walking in God's ways. When we approach God for forgiveness He doesn't demand that we come already perfect; simply come in a humble and sincere spirit, willing to confess and repent.
Proverbs 28:13 "He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy"
James 4:6 "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble"
1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness"
5. Place your trust in Christ and receive him as your Savior. Jesus is our Redeemer; he paid our death penalty. Jesus is our Advocate; he stands before the Father in our defense. Jesus is the Bread of Life and the Living Water; when we come to him we will no longer hunger and thirst. Jesus is the Light of the World; when we follow him we will no longer walk in darkness. To accept Jesus as your Savior, simply ask him into your heart.
Revelation 3:20 "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will go in"
John 1:12 "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God"
Lord Jesus, I want to have life. I know that I have sinned. I need Your forgiveness. I believe that You died and rose again for my sins. I now accept You as my personal Savior. I will abandon my sinful life. I know that Your grace and power will enable me to live for You. Thank You, Jesus, for saving me and for giving me a new life.
Your New Life
We are so excited you have decided to accept Jesus as your Savior! Your life never has to go back to the way it was! We encourage you to consider this the first step in your journey with God - He has so much more in store for you. Think of yourself as clay on the potter's wheel. Below are some ways God can mold and shape you:
Get to know God by reading the Bible. Consider God's Word to be your daily bread - you will starve spiritually without it! If you don't own a Bible yet, you can check out biblegateway.com to begin reading for free. Another great site to begin reading the Bible is bible.com, which also offers a free app that can be downloaded to your device! We encourage you to begin a reading plan in the New Testament.
Prayer is another important way to know God. Prayer is simply having a conversation with God (talking and listening). Just begin where you are and talk with God about your life. A great way to keep track of your growth is to keep a prayer journal! As time passes, you will be able to look back and see your growth in Christ. We encourage you to make conversations with God part of each day.
A third important way to grow in your faith is to connect with other Christians and there is no better way than joining a church! All Christians are on a journey of continual growth, so don't feel pressured to act as if you have it all together. We encourage you to find a church that is rooted Biblical teaching. If you live within driving distance of Wright City, MO, we would love if you came to visit!
We also recommend finding media sources that encourage your faith. JoyFM is a Christian radio station in St. Louis that can be a source of encouragement. Begin listening by tuning into 99.1 or visiting joyfmonline.org. You can also check out JoyFM's sister station, Boost 101.9.